This pumpkin soup is super easy to make and very tasty.
4 slices smoked streaky bacon
2tbsp olive oil
2 large carrots
1/2tsp each fennel seeds and chilli flakes
8 sprigs thyme
1 unpeeled onion
3 unpeeled garlic cloves
500ml vegetable stock
2tbsp crème fraiche
75g softened unsalted butter
Leaves from 3 thyme sprigs
75g finely grated parmesan
1/2tsp crushed fennel seeds
1/2tsp crushed coriander seeds
½ sliced baguette
- Preheat the oven to 220°C and line a baking tray with baking paper. Cut the pumpkin in half and drizzle with one tablespoon of oil before placing cut side down on the tray with the thyme sprigs.
- Place the bacon and carrots on foil and sprinkle with chilli flakes and fennel seeds and the last tablespoon of oil. Place on the baking tray and roast for 30 minutes.
- Remove vegetables and add onion. Wrap the garlic in foil and add to the baking tray, and roast for another 30 minutes.
- Make the croutons by mixing the chilli flakes, fennel and coriander seeds, thyme, butter and parmesan in a bowl. Spread the mixture over the baguette slices and place on a baking tray.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven and roast the croutons for eight minutes.
- Make the soup by stripping the leaves from the thyme and placing a large saucepan. Add the scooped-out pumpkin flesh with bacon and carrots. Peel the onion and garlic and add to the pan along with any juices. Combine using a stick blender before adding the stock and one and a half cups of water. Continue to blend until smooth and cook through until warm. Serve with crème fraîche and croutons.